A charcoal fumes have reportedly killed a 65-year-old woman, Obiageli Ezeuboaja and her houseboy, identified simply as Chikamso, 12, in Anambra State.

The incident happened in Umuchiana village, Ekwulobia, in the Aguata Local Government Area of the state.

Our correspondent gathered that the woman made fire with charcoals in order to warm the room due to the cold weather and she and the houseboy slept off with the windows closed.

The Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, Haruna Mohammed, confirmed the incident to our correspondent.

He said, “There was a report at the Aguata Police Station by one Bernard Ezeuboaja of Umuchiana village, Ekwulobia, Anambra State, that around 9am, he discovered that his wife, Obiageli Ezeuboaja, 65, and her houseboy, one Chikamso, 12, did not wake up from sleep since the previous night. As a result, he opened the door and discovered their lifeless bodies.

“Police detectives attached to the Aguata Division visited the scene and rushed the victims to hospital for medical attention, but they were pronounced dead on arrival by a medical doctor.

“Preliminary investigation revealed that the deceased made fire with charcoals in order to warm the room due to the cold weather and left all the windows closed and without ventilation.”

Mohammed said the charcoal container was recovered as exhibit, while the corpses had been deposited in Ekwulobia Hospital mortuary for an autopsy.

He added that investigation was ongoing to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident.