On Thursday, a former National Security Adviser, Sambo Dasuki, made his first court appearance after his release from a four-year detention.

He appeared before Justice Ahmed Mohammed of the Federal High Court in Abuja for his trial on charges of money laundering and illegal possession of firearms instituted against him in 2015 by the Office of the Attorney-General of the Federation.

None of the two other cases has come up since December 24, 2019, when he was released from the custody of the Department of State Services.

At the Thursday’s proceedings before Justice Mohammed of the Federal High Court, Dasuki, through his lawyer, Olukayode Ariwoola, withdrew two separate applications he filed in protest against the continuation of trial without being released from illegal custody.

In withdrawing the applications on Thursday, Ariwoola said they had been overtaken by the event of the release of his client.

He said, “My lord, we have two pending applications before this court. One is dated December 11, 2018 and the other is dated January 8, 2019.

“The two applications have been overtaken by event because our client was released on December 24, 2019.

“In the circumstance, we apply to withdraw the applications.”

Responding, the prosecuting counsel, Mr Dipo Okpeseyi(SAN), said he had no objection to the request to have the applications withdrawn.

The judge subsequently struck out the applications and adjourned trial till March 11 and 12.