DESPITE claims by Delta State Commissioner of Police, CP, Hafiz Inuwa, that police were awaiting autopsy report of exhumed corpses of the eight victims allegedly killed by herdsmen at Uwheru Kingdom in Ughelli North Local Government Area, findings revealed that the investigation had been put on hold due to financial constraints.

This is even as a leader in the community, Prof. Patrick Muoboghare, revealed that soldiers threatened to destroy their community if they failed to present corpses of the eight victims as evidence of the killing by the herdsmen.

According to him, the threat explains the reason the community-made efforts to exhume the bodies already buried by the herdsmen. The revelation came yesterday as President-General of Uwheru kingdom, Cassidy Akpedafe, raised the alarm that the people of the community could no longer go to their farms for fear of further attacks by herdsmen. Meanwhile, two persons were allegedly killed yesterday by gunmen suspected to be herdsmen at Owan village, an agrarian community in Ovia North East Local Government Area of Edo State.

The victims, identified as Owoh, 45, and Samuel Imonkhai, were killed in their farms by the herdsmen. The Delta State Police commissioner, while speaking with our correspondent on the level of investigations on the matter so far on Tuesday, had said: “For now, we are investigating the matter to know what happened, how it happened, whose corpses were recovered, whether they were killed during the Fulani herders’ conflict or whether they were exhumed elsewhere.

‘’Experts will have to come and give us their advice and opinions before we make our final conclusion.” However, findings by our correspondent yesterday revealed that autopsy is being conducted on only two of the corpses due to lack of funding, contrary to claims that all eight corpses were undergoing autopsy. Though it was not certain if the results of the autopsy conducted on the two corpses were ready as at yesterday (Wednesday), a source at the hospital mortuary confirmed that autopsy was conducted on only two corpses brought in on Sunday.

On who paid for the autopsy of the two corpses, the source said: “The council chairman, Godwin Adode, was the person that made financial provisions for the autopsy of the initial two before others were brought in.”