Attempts, yesterday, to stop protests against Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) failed as activists refused to be cowed and took their actions to wider dimensions. It came as northern governors and youths in some states of the north insisted that the controversial police unit should be retained and sent to the region to fight insecurity.

The ENDSARS protests continued in Lagos, Abuja and other major cities of the country as the European union backed the agitations. The protesters continued their agitations in defiance of official actions and warnings meant to deter them.

In a veiled warning the Nigerian Army, late on Wednesday, announced its readiness to defend the country and its democracy at all cost.

Attempts, yesterday, to stop protests against Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) failed as activists refused to be cowed and took their actions to wider dimensions. It came as northern governors and youths in some states of the north insisted that the controversial police unit should be retained and sent to the region to fight insecurity.

The ENDSARS protests continued in Lagos, Abuja and other major cities of the country as the European union backed the agitations. The protesters continued their agitations in defiance of official actions and warnings meant to deter them.

In a veiled warning the Nigerian Army, late on Wednesday, announced its readiness to defend the country and its democracy at all cost.

A similar statement from the military high command, yesterday warned against any violent attack on peaceful protesters by thugs and miscreants.

Coordinator, Defence Media Operations Defence Headquarters, Major General, John Emeche, said the unfolding event against ‘peace loving’ Nigerians would not be condoned.

He said “The Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies have observed with dismay some violence-related protests across the country; particularly the increasing number of attacks on peaceful protesters by thugs and miscreants.

According to him, “ thugs and miscreants are hereby warned to desist from engaging in violent activities against peaceful Nigerians henceforth, or face appropriate measures.”

Enenche noted, Military High Command duly encourages peaceful citizens to go about their normal activities without fear of intimidation or harassment as the Armed Forces of Nigeria and other security agencies are on ground for their safety. “In clear terms, any attempt to undermine the democracy of our beloved nation under any cover will not be allowed.

“For emphasis, the Armed Forces of Nigeria remains subordinated to the civil authorities of the country with unflinching loyalty to the President/Commander in Chief.”

The warnings came as governors of northern states rejected disbandment of SARS, arguing that the unit had been useful in the fight against insecurity in the region.

BUT protesters, yesterday, resorted to self-help to guarantee their safety. Many of them hired private guards and procured pepper sprayers to ward off thugs. This was disclosed in Abuja by Deji Adeyanju, while responding to attack on #EndSars agitators at the popular Berger junction.

It came as the European Union in Nigeria (EU) said it was concerned by the incidents taking place in Nigeria around the protests that were already assuming national outlook.

It said: “EU is concerned by the incidents that took place during protests against Special Anti-Robbery Squad in Nigeria. Peaceful protests are part of a thriving democracy. The announcement that serious police reform will take place is an important step to secure rights of citizens.”

Adeyanju added that the solution to the attacks would be to buy hundreds of protective gears like pepper sprays. “We must also get bouncers around the protest venues.”

Meanwhile, there were doubts regarding the authenticity of the recall of SARS members back to Police headquarters, as some officers were on their duty post yesterday in Apo abbatoir. The SARS officers were seen at 7.40am gleefully clutching onto their guns but stayed away from the road.

Governors of the Northern states of the country, yesterday, opposed wholesale disbandment of SARS. They argued that the unit, under the auspices of the Nigeria Police, had been doing a job in the fight against insecurity in the region.

Chairman of the Northern Governors Forum and Plateau State Governor, Simon Lalong, spoke in Abuja while fielding questions from State House correspondents after he met with President Muhammadu Buhari.

Lalong argued that though the President had already approved the scrapping of SARS, the northern states did not believe the squad should be disbanded because of its shortcomings.

The governor said what was needed was reformation of the unit to enable it carry out its functions optimally. He, however, conceded that there were divisions in the country regarding the continued existence of the unit.

But the Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF), an umbrella body for all state executives in the country yesterday defied the National Economic Council (NEC) and asked IGP Adamu to disband the newly created Special Weapons and Tactics Team (SWAT), which the police had announced in place of SARS. The governors stated this at the end of their 19th teleconference meeting headed by the NGF chairman, Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti State. NEC had asked the 36 governors to take charge of SWAT, just as Federal Government said it had set up a judicial panel of inquiry to investigate police brutality in all states and FCT. NEC also directed special victim fund in all states to compensate victims of brutality.

Fayemi, in a communiqué he signed, endorsed the ongoing plan to reform, describing the SWAT concept as “ill-timed.” The NGF urged IGP Adamu to immediately convene a meeting of all stakeholders to create a format of engagement with all state officials to address the concerns raised by protesting Nigerians.

ALSO yesterday, the Minister of Federal Capital Territory [FCT], Muhammad Bello, moved to stop the protest by announcing ban on street protests in Abuja, citing COVID-19 concerns.

Chief Press Secretary to the Minister, Anthony Ogunleye, in a statement, yesterday, in Abuja, noted that, while government recognised the rights of citizens as regards freedom of association and movement as enshrined in the constitution, it had observed that the unruly conduct of the crowd and manner of demonstrations were in complete violation of the COVID-19 safety protocols.

“These violations endanger the lives of not just the demonstrators but also other citizens going about their legitimate concerns. For the avoidance of doubts, the Covid-19 guidelines regulating public gatherings recommended physical distancing, temperature checks, the use of facial coverings, amongst others.

Clearly, these guidelines were flouted by the protesters,’’ he stated. He said the committee, based on the observations, had directed that all streets demonstrations, protests and processions would not be allowed anywhere within the FCT.

IN Lagos, the move to stop the protest turned physical as heavily armed thugs attacked activists on Lagos-Ibadan Expressway. It was gathered that the attackers were allegedly conveyed in chartered BRT bus.

The thugs were seen with knives and other weapons and inflicted injuries on protesters. Eyewitnesses said the thugs gathered at the venue as early as 7a.m waiting for protesters to arrive and when the protesters got to the scene, they took advantage of the small number to attack them.

But, few minutes later, the protesters gathered at the Lagos Secretariat and proceeded, in large numbers, to Allen Avenue, Lagos.
Lagos State Government has, however, promptly denied using thugs to chase the EndSARS protesters around the state secretariat, Alausa.

In a statement, the state Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Gbenga Omotoso said: “The attention of the Lagos State Government has been drawn to some unverified reports in the social media alleging that the government-sponsored thugs to disrupt the #EndSARS protest. This is untrue and wicked.

“Such wild allegations were obviously concocted by enemies of peace and orderliness to whip up sentiments against the government, which has been doing everything possible to resolve the crisis by identifying with our youths in their efforts towards police reforms.”He added that Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu had been preaching peace.

“The Governor has addressed them twice – at the Lekki Toll Gate and at the House of Assembly. He even carried a placard and marched with the youths after assuring them that he felt their pains and that it was legitimate for them to protest.

“Besides, the governor visited the President to tender their five-point demand. He ensured that all the protesters arrested by the police were released unconditionally.”