Osun State Fire Service has put the losses to the fire incident that occurred in a building inside Ooni of Ife’s palace on Wednesday at N1millon.
Fatai Aremu, the Administrative Officer of the Fire Service in the state, added that firefighters received a distress call from the scene around 1.20 pm, adding that men were immediately deployed to put out the fire.
Aremu explained that though the fire which affected one room in the said building, he described the effect as severe and blamed the development on power surge.”
He said, “One of the rooms in the administrative building of the Ooni’s palace was gutted by fire. Our personnel at Ile Ife Fire Station were called at 1:20 pm and they responded swiftly to the call and were able to put out the fire.
“The fire was caused by power surge. Though the fire affected a room, the effect was severe as it blew off the roof of that room. It would have spread beyond that, but due to prompt arrival of fire fighters. Property affected are clothes, upholstery chairs and other home equipment as the room belong to one of the chiefs. OAU Fire personnel and OAUTHC personnel assisted. Property saved is worth N10 billion, while estimated loss worth is N1million.”
Meanwhile, the Palace of Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Ogunwusi, has said the incident was a minor which lasted for about 20 minutes.
A statement by Moses Olafare, the Director of Media and Public Affairs, Ooni’s Palace, said, “We wish to inform the entire public that a minor fire outbreak involving a tiny part of one of the administrative buildings on the premises of the palace occurred at about 1.15 pm today, Wednesday 19th, August 2020, leaving no harm to the oldest palace in Yoruba land.
“Aside from the fact that there was no causality whatsoever, the fire was just a minor occurrence. While it is suspected to have emanated from an electric spark, measures are currently in place to reveal the cause of the inferno.”